Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Needle that Scarred my Hand is Nothing Compared to the Nails in Jesus' Hands

I just back from camp last Friday. That week of camp was probably one of  the most fun weeks I've ever had. It was also a week full of "firsts." I worked with six to eight year-olds for the first time. Well, at camp. I babysit frequently. It was also the first time I gave a goat a bath. That was easier than you think it was. I'm getting my first pair of Chaco sandals in about ten days. But probably the most important "first" thing that happened last week is that I actually realized how painful Jesus' death was and how much those nails must have hurt when they went through his hands and feet. His death just became much more significant to me.

So, about a month and a half ago, my sister and I were embroidering a quilt for my grandmother for her birthday. I had stuck my needle in the arm rest of the couch because I had to go do something else. I came back and forgetting I had put my needle there, I slammed my hand down on the armrest; right where the needle was. As a sharp pain made its way through my hand, I lifted it up and sure enough, there was a needle sticking out of my hand. Of course, I put some Neosporin and a Band-aid on it, and it's fine now.

The reason I thought of this was because at camp there is a skit they do called Life of Christ. It follows Jesus' life and so the Crucifixion is portrayed as well. This week, that's when it really hit me how much pain He really went through and that proves how much He loves me and everyone else. See, my hand ached for hours after I accidentally stabbed myself with my needle. However, those nails that pierced His hands were so much larger and there was no way he was going to remove them because that would mean eternal damnation for the rest of us. His pain was thousands of times worse than mine, and he did it willingly.

 It really put God's love for me in a new perspective. Jesus willingly chose pain. He chose to go through all that suffering and mocking just for me. He could have taken those wretched nails out, but he didn't. He loves us so much,  more than words can describe. His love for us is so deep that there is absolutely no way whatsoever that we'd be able to escape. We're drowning in His grace. And there is absolutely nothing in this world or the next that is capable of separating God's love from us, not even sin, death, or the power of the devil. And there is absolutely nothing we can do to earn God's love. It's a free gift, no strings attached. Isn't God incredible?

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:38-39

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."-Romans 5:8

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift from God- not by works so that no one can boast." Eph. 2:8-9

Have a terrific Tuesday!




No comments:

Post a Comment