Saturday, March 30, 2013

I Think I've Read Too Many Nancy Drew Books...

So, awhile ago I read a book called Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. It's a fantastic, unique book, but some parts freaked me out a lot. Well, really, it was only one scene, but still.

Basically, there's this kid named Jacob and his grandpa died. Jacob thinks he was attacked by some wild beast, but no one believes him. His parents also think he's crazy, so they send him to a therapist. Long story short, Jacob decides to travel to Scotland so he can investigate the orphanage his grandpa because he wants to learn more about his grandpa and the peculiar children at the orphanage.

Jacob finds the orphanage and wants to explore it, which is fine, but he's totally unprepared for spelunking in old, abandoned houses in the middle of a storm. Well, it's not really a severe storm or anything, but it is raining heavily.

Anyway, Jacob is completely unprepared for exploring. He didn't bring any gloves or a mask or a rain jacket. He didn't even bother bringing a flashlight. Ok, so maybe a mask is a bit ridiculous, but I'd at least bring some gloves. And a flashlight. How could he forget the flashlight?

So, he enters this old, abandoned orphanage and decides to explore the upstairs first. I agree with this move. Basements are creepy. But as he ascends the stairs, I can't help wondering if/when the stairs are going to give way, leaving Jacob to fall through the stairs into the basement. They didn't, but I was still worried.

As Jacob is exploring the upper level, he comes across an old trunk with a rusted lock. He tries knocking the lock off because it's rusted, but it doesn't work. Does he bother looking for the key? Of course not! Instead, he tries to whack the lock off with a leg of a chair. Does it work? Nope. After this, he decides the best plan of attack is to drop the trunk off from the second level because the trunk will break upon impact. When I first read this, I thought he meant he was going to drop it out the window, but did he? Nope. He pushes the trunk down the stairs, or pushes it over the railing, I don't remember which. Because clearly this is the best option, much better than even attempting to look for the key. I understand the key is probably gone, but at least do a brief skim over of the room for it.

Naturally, the trunk fell through the floor into the dreaded basement. Of course, Jacob goes down to explore, but he only has the light of his cell phone to guide him. It turns out that there were loads of pictures of the peculiar children and his grandpa in the trunk. But does he take the pictures upstairs to study them? No! He stays in the creepy, dark basement risking being knocked out or kidnapped or something.

Next, Jacob hears some voices. He looks up, and the children from the photos are the same children looking at him. I almost screamed when I read that part. Of course, Jacob doesn't run away from the house, he tries to follow them to wherever they were going.

So yeah. I was freaking out because it didn't really seem like he was taking any safety or health precautions. I read a lot of Nancy Drew books, so I was expecting Jacob to be attacked or something. It certainly didn't help my fear. Also, it didn't help I was reading this at night. Looking back, it's not that bad, but at night, it was nightmarish.

Still. I would recommend this book. And reading my reaction to this, you're probably thinking, "Why would I read that? It sounds scary." Or lame. Either way. But it's really good, it's just at that part I didn't know what was going to happen. So go read more books!

Happy Saturday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment