Monday, April 8, 2013

Things I Regret

So, I know it can be a waste of time regretting things, or it may even be unhealthy, but there are some things that I wonder if I had changed my habits that I'd be a different person today because of it. Here are some things in my past I'd change, in no particular order:

1. Piano:

A) Quitting piano lessons:
I started taking piano lessons when I was about seven or eight, and I continued until I was about fourteen or fifteen. I stopped because I was entering high school, and I thought I wouldn't have enough time. Looking back, I realize I probably would have made time for it, and even though I still play piano, it's not the same as when I was taking lessons. There really isn't someone around to share their input on a certain piece, or on my  progress in general; it's all up to me, and that doesn't necessarily mean I'm growing musically.

B) Practicing:
I've never enjoyed practicing, and I've never really practiced much because apparently I have natural talent. However, talent only takes you so far, and I think if I had practiced more, I would be more confident in my playing now, and be more willing to play for people than I am now. I normally only play at home when no one else is around.

C) Contests:
There was this piano contest my teacher always made me participate in, and I always did well; I always made it to finals and I even won once. But when I was in seventh grade, I decided I didn't want to do them anymore; I don't even remember my reasoning why. I really wish I hadn't quit; contests build character and confidence.

2. Studying:
Now, I am not a bad student; I just procrastinate sometimes...or a lot. But some subjects I really wish I had applied myself more. In tenth grade, I took AP U.S. History, and my teacher was awful. If you asked him a question, he wouldn't be able to tell you an answer, or would tell you he'd find out for you, but never did. He also stressed that we read the textbook that went along with the class, which is fine, but he was expecting that that would be where we get all our information. I realize now that even though that textbook was the most difficult book to read and understand, I should've made more of an effort on my part to understand the material, because in the end, I'm responsible for the my grade and what I learn.

I really wish I would've instituted better study habits when I was younger; I think it would've helped me so much in the long run. Again, I think a lot of it comes back to that I'm somewhat naturally smart, I thought I didn't need to apply myself or study as much. My grades just came naturally without much effort on my part.

So, if you're reading this and you're still in school, take studying seriously! Don't think you can just slack off all the time and expect good grades to be handed to you. Put effort into your education because it'll help you in the long run. It's ok to be smart!

I guess those are my two main regrets that if I could go back and change the past, I would. But I can't. However, it's never too late to change the future.

Happy Monday! (As happy as Mondays can be, anyway...)

No comments:

Post a Comment