Monday, November 19, 2012

Talking Minnesotan

Watch this video. Yes, I realize it is 25 minutes long, but it is probably one of the best things I've seen in awhile. Pretty much, this video is about how to talk Minnesotan. You'd think it's a mock video, but it's not. Apparently, it first aired in 1992 on Twin Cities Public Television (TPT). My father even remembers watching it.

I love this video very much. Not only is it (semi) accurate, but it was made by Minnesotans who were essentially poking fun at themselves, and they were a-ok with that. The thing I love most, however, is the whole seriousness of it all. It's as if the host is trying to teach you Spanish or Mandarin Chinese or... Ojibwe, even. They treat it as if Minnesotan was a language all its own, which I suppose it sort of is.

I also enjoy that the title is "How to Talk Minnesotan". Not, "How to Speak Minnesotan", "Talk". Apparently, you may speak Dutch, you may speak Jawa, but you talk Minnesotan.

At any rate, I love this video. Please watch it, or at the very least, a part of it. And thank you to my brother for spending his time in the obscure corner of YouTube. I prefer the educational corner, but to each his own.

Have a bright and marshmallow-marvelous Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment